V7 and OIDC authentication - missing info on documentation & other issues

Glowsome

Renowned Member
Jul 25, 2017
The Netherlands
www.comsolve.nl
Proxmox 7 has introduced OpenID-Connect authentication which enables us to go on the path of federated login.
However for all the different Identity provider solutions the option will have to get ALOT more flexible.
Options at the moment are soo limited they are constricting to a single IDP solution, and do not allow acr_values to be implemented - which is part of the OIDC standard.

Suggestions in this :

[Documentation]
- clarify callback-uri for cluster setups - as you need to define all nodes in the definition on the IdP as to what can possibly be the callback-url
=> in my case i have 4 nodes, meaning i need to define all 4 nodes in a potential callback-uri ( else you will get an error - invalid redirect_uri)
- the grants required by Proxmox need to be defined.
=> i have the option on my end to set multiple options : code, implicit, resource owner credendials, client credentials, and even SAML2 assertion.
This needs to be clarified !

[Enhancements needed]
- The abillity to define acr_values / sent them with the authentication request - meaning one can actually dictate the authentication contract a user logs in with - this option is defined in the OIDC standards, and should be available.
- The functionality to define scopes in requesting attributes ( some of us have custom scopes tailored to the needs of an application besides of the default scopes available.
- The freedom to arbitrary set an (unique) attribute-name wanted as identifyer, if its transmitted as username, user, commonname, or whatever, it should honor what i dictate as admin.

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for your suggestions! It would be great if you could check if something similar exists in the Proxmox VE Bugzilla and add it if not :) In the forum the suggestions might get buried by new posts, but in Bugzilla they will not.

Also what i have noticed in testing it with my IDP is that it chokes on the sent request:
Code:
<amLogEntry> 2021-07-09T13:56:58Z SEVERE NIDS OAuth: Illegal character """ at position 645 is not allowed as a start of a name in a path template "code=/wEBAAAGACCfgsQKBLr69E1FnF0RxdbtiatEgL@9dHoMpPfBhDq2Y32dU51FlRWyp5ndpWTXZ6k6XrGfXTFr2sHB8VZv2uh0sgNBgUmDaASU/c4XMgDJG7lAcD/6/ftBisXFdDr5zttnfWx1RgquNFFKuVFySd@8DePSEDEKS4KzsUo4K47jk5e67FtGINl/HLlRr0ZODvmTrqG24ysMZX2fwWjGnddD/nIMoyHLqqGOhdAr1oeU/HZ4FU7hTuyKc5xUcBLYM1aSrc/4FA/epqwSAMCyRKIU3de40AzOpRn0tDjZcfKjA6p9Ua1ON/EQVt@suUsYCejnGk1wnIqaIIS2qCNEBBzrLyryacuPakf7nLSvVE43836GekYg8LMhCa2s@GW4G8BQ9PWQaBZuLnmuOpD7nQOB6VfpPIzzv1v2t0NOdBP/tNIfLw7unyE/aWW9oGVfkfsxQZcWIeXH05iuIlTZCTMmqZO9DHpeVWxJ8VJbbhCe/x/Md/vqnVhX2m6r5RAArVlRYv9DfUFhl5qDbqXYobshzGdiSaWs5EAxLLp@vNDyAvCkVWdoLEY54PcZmTyMQIJkKk7LUIsKdEq9avCBPEHy9oUqHV3KiAAR2VdVY4sf3w~~&state={"csrf_token":"tGV9INr4H6xYf2suyftnKw","realm":"OIDC"}&scope=profile+email". </amLogEntry>

This is seen on the IdP - Microfocus AccessManager

- bug was created for this behaviour

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!