Using Proxmox for Ceph Storage and Kubernetes Cluster

MicDieDuiwel

Apr 21, 2020
Hi all

I have a question regarding ceph storage for our kubernetes cluster.
We have 2 supermicros, Server 1 has a bunch of 120GB SSDs in RAID, while Server 2 has 4 1.8TB HDDs and a 120GB SSD for the OS. Both Running Proxmox v6.1-3

Currently we use ceph via rook to manage our storage but felt it'd be better if we decoupled storage from kubernetes to increase stability and make recovery easier in the event of kubernetes cluster failure.

My question is, can we use Server 2 for ceph storage while our VMs running kubernetes run on Server 1.

From my initial investigation it sounds like it's possible but not recommended to run ceph on less than 3 nodes? I assume that if we ever get more hardware I can add more storage to the ceph cluster (increasing it from one to two and maybe 3 nodes down the line). I also assume mixing VMs and ceph on a node is not recommended?

Hi all

I have a question regarding ceph storage for our kubernetes cluster.
We have 2 supermicros, Server 1 has a bunch of 120GB SSDs in RAID, while Server 2 has 4 1.8TB HDDs and a 120GB SSD for the OS. Both Running Proxmox v6.1-3

Currently we use ceph via rook to manage our storage but felt it'd be better if we decoupled storage from kubernetes to increase stability and make recovery easier in the event of kubernetes cluster failure.

My question is, can we use Server 2 for ceph storage while our VMs running kubernetes run on Server 1.

From my initial investigation it sounds like it's possible but not recommended to run ceph on less than 3 nodes? I assume that if we ever get more hardware I can add more storage to the ceph cluster (increasing it from one to two and maybe 3 nodes down the line). I also assume mixing VMs and ceph on a node is not recommended?

2 NODES:

https://www.maquinasvirtuales.eu/crear-cluster-proxmox-con-ceph/

3 NODES:

https://www.maquinasvirtuales.eu/instalacion-cluster-proxmox-con-3-nodos-y-cephfs/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!