Using Pfsense VM to port forward

rujoesmith

Sep 7, 2018
I'm having trouble forwarding a port to one of my VM's. Currently, pfsense is hooked directly to the modem via the WAN port (vmbr0), proxmox and all my other vm's are all bound to the LAN (vmbr1) port behind pfsense. Basically I want pfsense acting as the firewall for everything.

WAN -> NIC passed through for pfSense VM WAN -> Proxmox -> containers and VMs

When I try to forward a port in pfsense, It always shows up as closed on the client VM. Im able to ping proxmox and all vms from the pfsense web interface. I'm also sure its not a problem with my pfsense config or ISP as the port is forwarded just fine when I use a standalone pfsense box.

Im fairly new to proxmox so Im not sure if I have this setup correctly, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey,

Not sure if port forwarding as such is used in pfSense. Do you mean that you have opened the firewall for a specific port to a specific LAN address?
I would expect that pfSense would be acting as the firewall and block most traffic, and as a router to assign Ips to your VMs in proxmox.
Did you check the firewall rules in Proxmox as well?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!