Using macvtap driver

kokoticek

Jun 7, 2010
I'm trying to use macvtap driver, and for starters it doesn't look quite good...

I already looked for information about it. It has 4 modes: VEPA, bridge, private, and passthrough. VEPA is an automatic no go because today's switches don't normally support the so called "hairpin" mode; passthrough looks kind of like VirtualBox's NAT, only access to the outside network like internet but no communication with host itself; bridge should be the good one here, should be the one working just like Proxmox's default bridged network design, but docs say macvtap bridge is NOT intended nor designed to work with host-guest communication!?
Private is an automatic no go as well.

Has someone used macvtap here? Is it true about this bridge terrible limitation?

I'm sure I'm missing something but why? Proxmox has all the routing needed built in.. you can also use openswitch if you prefer.

As far as I've found doing some quite complex configurations I've not seen anything I couldn't do with the built in stuff.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!