Using Chef-proxmox to maintain Patches to Proxmox host (kernel modules for PPP)

Jul 3, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi - I was wondering:

After reading http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-add-ppp-kernel-support-to-openvz-containers

Before we can use PPP in the container, we must enable the PPP kernel modules on the host system:

modprobe tun
modprobe ppp-compress-18
modprobe ppp_mppe
modprobe ppp_deflate
modprobe ppp_async
modprobe pppoatm
modprobe ppp_generic

Question - how do people maintain a list of modifications they make to their proxmox servers so they can reapply those changes next time they upgrade proxmox?

(EDIT) I noted https://supermarket.getchef.com/cookbooks/proxmox today - is anyone using that?

Cheers,
Martin.

Last edited:
That Proxmox cookbook (after a quick look) does not look very useful.
It configures a few things, installs some stuff and really seems catered to a specific installation rather than some universal proxmox configuration cookbook.

I use Chef to manage nearly everything, including my Proxmox nodes.

It would be trivial to write a Chef recipe to create an /etc/modprobe.d/ppp.conf file.

Ok, cool.

So, I hacked together an automated script to install proxmox inside virtual box
And I'm now looking at maintaining, for instance, those pop settings and a vz/mount.vps script that all CTs will run* during mount. (Not least because my chef setup installs e.g. a hosts.deny script that I don't want in dev and I haven't hooked up Proxmox to Chef environments yet).

I'd prefer to use a framework rather than a collection of (my) hacks... can you point me at anything I should use?

Thanks,
Martin

* http://jpmens.net/2012/11/28/bootstrapping-openvz-containers-in-proxmox-ve/

Last edited:
If I understand your question correctly your wanting to know how to do what your bootstrap script does but with a framework like Chef?

Here is what I do:
Install the base VM with ssh daemon, allow root login and a simple password.
In Chef I create a role for the VM that contains a list of cookbooks/attributes I want applied to that VM.
Then I run a single command:
Code:
knife bootstrap 1.11.1 -x root -r "role[server_role_name]"

That will install chef on the node, register it to the chef server then run chef.
I let chef do all the modifications to the VM such as creating users and authorized_keys files.

When I was using OpenVZ I created my own templates that would register themselves with the Chef server on first startup.
All I had to do in Chef is assign it a role.
The Proxmox tool DAB made this really easy.

There are some other tools you might want to look into, Puppet and Salt come to mind.
I prefer and use Chef, but lots of people have good things to say about other DevOps tools.

It would be nice if there was a Proxmox cookbook that could configure anything that is Proxmox specific.
Backup schedules, fence devices, storage, etc, etc.
These are things I rarely change so automating them does not save me much time and I have much more important issues to solve so this is not something I could start on any time soon.

We are drifting off-topic for this forum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!