User management: a broader question

Zamana

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi!

That's the second time I tried Proxmox. In the first time, some years ago, I remember that I quite not understood well what I was doing or what the Proxmox (PM) purpose was. Now I do.

Well, after installing PM, some containers, a VM (OpenMediaVault) and had struggling for more than 5 hours only to install that ZFS plugin, I finally reached the point where I really need some advice.

It's a broader question, I think, that is: how do I manage, in a centralized way, all the users involved in the system?

Of course I'm aware of PM documentation User Management, but it seems that it doesn't quite replies to my questions...

The problem I see is there are the host users, the container users, the VM users, and the UID/GID in the filesystems of the disks that I'm using already, and I don't know how to manage them all together. Today they are spread on those places, linked only by the UID/GID in the /etc/passwd and /etc/group, and I think that this approach is too fragile.

I mean... I would like to manage, in just one place, all the Linux users (those that are in the host, in the containers and in the VMs), so that all filesystems and the PM GUI reflected the same rights and permissions.

The purpose of my system are: a NAS (for my computer's family), a Seedbox (deluge, sonarr, radarr, lidarr) and a Plex Media Server.

Deluge and Sonarr/Radarr/Lidar must have access to Plex media folder. And I also need access to that media folder to check the files downloaded, add subtitles and so on.

By the way, it doesn't make too much sense for me to have an LDAP just for this. It's an isolated home server, anyway.

Do you have any ideas, please?

Thanks.
Regards.

Last edited:
If you want all users in sync on both host and all guest systems, it's the same as when you have a bunch of physical machines. You can ignore the fact that they are VMs or containers. So yeah you probably want to setup ldap or NIS. Both take some effort to get into and setup at first.

Hi!

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I'm getting to this conclusion too.

Sometimes I think that Proxmox is overkill for what I need, but at the same time I like the "containerisation/compartimentation" that it provides. It's very nice to separate things so them don't mess with each other.

Any other ideas for this use case?

Thanks.
Regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!