usb-passthrough

TErxleben

Renowned Member
Oct 20, 2008
Is it possible to (reliably) pass a USB device to multiple VMs? I'm primarily concerned with smart card readers. So no write access.

Symbol „Von der Community überprüft“

Is it possible to (reliably) pass a USB device to multiple VMs?
Only if you pass it to one VM at a time (just like physical machines). Maybe use a physical USB switch that allows you to select which USB port (give each VM a separate physical port) gets the device (as you would with physical machines)? Or maybe use USB/IP and some scripting to switch between VMs using software commands?

I understand that with read/write access. But read-only access? Have you had any experience with that? In the ProxmoxGUI I could assign a USB device multiple times.

Then I'll have to try it out, willy-nilly. I hoped someone had already had experience with this.

Of course I will be patient. I will definitely post my experience here. Thank you for your exchange of ideas.

Attachments

• 1727627766828.png
    1727627766828.png
    312 bytes · Views: 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!