USB and SATA Passthrough Broken after upgrade

omitted

Mar 24, 2016
Good afternoon all,

I've run into a problem and wondering if anyone else is having the same issue? I had some SATA HDDs set up via passthrough to FreeNAS and Windows 10 VMs. Everything was working fine until this most recent update. Checked the configs and everything is as it was prior to the most recent upgrade. However, now SATA passthrough is not working.

USB Passthrough was previously set-up and working fine. It is also broken now. Haven't gone through and double checked the IDs and what not. Will double check and post back about this issue.

I haven't been able to get passthrough working as of yet after the upgrade.

Thanks

Quick update, USB is working. Still haven't been able to figure out the SATA issue

Check your VM config file in /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf

I noticed mine was broken after the update. Most notably the Colons were replaced. I'm guessing the update parses the config files and re-writes them at some point.

My GPU line was showing this after the update:
#hostpci0%3A 01%3A00,pcie=1,x-vga=on

Instead of this:
hostpci0: 01:00,pcie=1,x-vga=on

After fixing that up, everything is working again.

Thanks for the reply!

Double checked the config files. PCI passthrough and USB are working without issue now. Still having the SATA drive issue:
virtio0: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-adsfasdf_theendadsfasdf (asdf changed b/c it contained serial number)
Was working prior to the update without issue with this same line.

Have you got the actual error output?

It'll usually show in the web GUI if you open up the start task at the bottom.

Alternatively, start the VM via console/ssh with "qemu start VMID" and see what pops up.

Apr 19 22:19:06 asdf pveproxy[2949]: vm 700 - unable to parse value of 'virtio0' - format error
file: invalid format - unable to parse volume ID '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-asdfasdf_asdfasdf'
Apr 19 22:19:06 asdf pvedaemon[2937]: vm 700 - unable to parse value of 'virtio0' - format error
file: invalid format - unable to parse volume ID '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-asdfasdf_asdfasdf'

This is from the syslog

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!