Upgrading to Proxmox 6 by reinstalling servers

macleod

Aug 3, 2017
Hi
Generally speaking, I always prefer to reinstall than simply upgrading a server. Maybe it's more work to do but it's cleaner and "subtle differences" are avoided.
But, if I understood correctly, it's not possible to upgrade a pmx5 cluster this way (foreach pmx5, move vms, remove server from cluster, install pmx6, add server to cluster), even with corosync updated to v3. Why that ?
Also, even upgrading each server as-is, there will be a time window (days, weeks?) with mixed pmx5/6 servers. What is the worst that can happen ?
Thanks!

hi,

But, if I understood correctly, it's not possible to upgrade a pmx5 cluster this way (foreach pmx5, move vms, remove server from cluster, install pmx6, add server to cluster), even with corosync updated to v3. Why that ?

because our API around corosync ring addresses changed, so a pmx6 node won't be able to join a pmx5 cluster.

Also, even upgrading each server as-is, there will be a time window (days, weeks?) with mixed pmx5/6 servers. What is the worst that can happen ?

i suggest you keep this time window as small as possible. the correct way to do in-place upgrade[0], is to upgrade corosync on all nodes first, and then migrate your running guests to another node while upgrading the current node to pve6.

i suggest you to keep this time window relatively short, since there are API changes between pmx5 and pmx6 which could cause inconsistencies in the long run.

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0#In-place_upgrade

To reinstall a server:

if your vm storage is not local,
you can backup /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db ,
reinstall the host with same name/ip address, after boot, shutdown pve-cluster service , override config.db with your backup, reboot. Done. :)

I think it should work with backupking from 5, and restore on 6.

maybe upgrade corosync to version3 on all node first.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!