upgrading from 1.9

C

coffe

Seems like we are going to get a OK to upgade.
So i just like to get som input.

have today a cluster of 6 servers anv about 20VMs on all of them.
My ide where to use a old server to install 2.* and then copy the clients over. but i dont like to keep that server in cluster so is there a easy way of removing it as master of the new cluster ?

Any input would be good .

Cheers

Coffe

Hi, in proxmox 2.1 there are no master nodes :) so should be a case of seting up your new cluster and then removing the node after joining the other nodes to the cluster.

So today we are going to install a new 2.* server to build the new cluster.
as we only use iscsi will we run in to big problems if we have it shared between a 1.9 cluster and a 2.* ?

Second question is whats the best way of moving a vm from the 1.9 cluster, seems litle strange to dump it and relad it as its on shared storage , seems like there have to be able to just add the servers vm config file ?

as we cant shut down all hosts , we are going to do this in steps, so first move one servers vm over to a new , then update that server to 2.* and add it to the cluster and so on.

got 2 new questions.
1.i have moved the .conf file to the new server, but it seems the system dont connect to image in shared storage. how can i "mount" it so it finds it ? ( /dev/mapper/ )
2. do i have to make the cluster before adding nodes ( its the first server in the cluster to be).

Regards
Coffe

Hi,
Havent seen anything about creating cluster before adding VMs ,
If i try start it, it says it dont find HD image. but when checking the storage i can see it. but a ls /dev/mapper dont show it.

lvchange -ay /dev/volumegroupname/vm_id seems to worked.
No. VM stills says it cant find any boot on it, so i did test to start it up in old cluster, ans there it did work.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the output of

# pvesm list <STOREID>

please replace <STOREID> with the ID of the storage which does not work.

seems like the VM i where testing with where created with scsi , the others all use virtio, so it works. tomorrow will be grand day of moving 40+ VMs.
Tnx everyone :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!