Upgrade PVE 4.1.1 to PVE 4.2-17

bromac

Renowned Member
Sep 14, 2014
Poland
Hello
How can I update PVE only to version 4.2-17 from 4.1.1?
I can't upgrade to 4.3, because I have software they not working on 4.3 and must wait after will be added update.
Have on sources.list pve-no-subscription, and when I dis-upgrade then proxmox will upgrade to 4.3.

Is there a way to update to NOT the latest version? (must have 4.2.17).

Hmm... i don't know. But test it with synaptic. Install synaptic and force the version of the package. Maybe there is an 4.2 still online.

I think I found a way how to update, but to version 4.2.18 - also running my software.
I would ask someone just to confirm whether you only need to do and all will be working good:
apt-get install package=version
for all packages from http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downloads#Update_a_running_Proxmox_Virtual_Environment_4.x_to_latest_4.2
for e.g.:
Code:
apt-get install
proxmox-ve=4.2-64
pve-manager=4.2-18
pve-kernel-4.4.16-1-pve=4.4.16-64
lvm2=2.02.116-pve3
corosync-pve=2.4.0-1
libqb0=1.0-1
pve-cluster=4.0-44
qemu-server=4.0-86
pve-firmware=1.1-9
libpve-common-perl=4.0-72
libpve-access-control=4.0-19
libpve-storage-perl=4.0-57
pve-libspice-server1=0.12.8-1
vncterm=1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm=2.6.1-2
pve-container=1.0-73
pve-firewall=2.0-29
pve-ha-manager=1.0-33
ksm-control-daemon=1.2-1
glusterfs-client=3.5.2-2+deb8u2
lxc-pve=2.0.4-1
lxcfs=2.0.3-pve1
cgmanager=0.39-pve1
criu=1.6.0-1
novnc-pve=0.5-8
zfsutils=0.6.5.7-pve10~bpo80

Ok, this is not really easy. Maybe the supporter can help you with. I think there is on command and one metapackages. And when you force the metapackages version it should do this for you. Maybe this is working only with "proxmox-ve=4.2-64"

while it might in theory be possible, upgrading to or running an outdated version is not supported by proxmox.

After trying upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3, I did lose all VMs. It is the price to realize that without subscription, you are not authorised to upgrade the system. The only thing you could do is backing up all VMs, then install the new version on that node and restore VMs (remember to join cluster first)

After trying upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3, I did lose all VMs. It is the price to realize that without subscription, you are not authorised to upgrade the system. The only thing you could do is backing up all VMs, then install the new version on that node and restore VMs (remember to join cluster first)
upgrading should never delete anything (regardless of subscription status) .. so something else happened here
do you have the output of the upgrade?
what is in /etc/pve ?

upgrading should never delete anything (regardless of subscription status) .. so something else happened here
do you have the output of the upgrade?
what is in /etc/pve ?

Without a subscription, no upgrade is available. Adding the no-subscription repository brings a chance to have the new one installed. But upgrading leads to the overall system down due to something unconfigurable. Cluster stop working. Management web frontend not accessible. vzdump, qm restore are failed. I am not sure how to roll back. I have no free machine to install a fresh copy of PMX on it to copy everything left.

To summarize, upgrade is at most available for subscribed copies only, isn't it?

Without a subscription, no upgrade is available. Adding the no-subscription repository brings a chance to have the new one installed. But upgrading leads to the overall system down due to something unconfigurable. Cluster stop working. Management web frontend not accessible. vzdump, qm restore are failed. I am not sure how to roll back. I have no free machine to install a fresh copy of PMX on it to copy everything left.

To summarize, upgrade is at most available for subscribed copies only, isn't it?

Your summary is totally wrong. Instead of posting weird assumptions, read your upgrade logs and find out what is running wrong on your side.

Your summary is totally wrong. Instead of posting weird assumptions, read your upgrade logs and find out what is running wrong on your side.

Dear Tom,

I am the one who suffering from the lost of control and data due to the effort of upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3. You should have proven that my CONCLUSION (not assumption) was not true. Someone else has already posted the same problem here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/problems-upgrading-from-4-2-to-4-3-without-cluster.29511/.

I have also hopelessly followed all instructions on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downloads before falling into the deepest part.

To enjoy the new release, I have wiped out the upgrade-failed computer and made a fresh install on it. The new one is really amazing. I love its new design and power.

Is there any chance that an upgrade will be less painful? Proxmox is powerful but hard to manage for newbies (like me).

Thanks.

Dear Tom,

I am the one who suffering from the lost of control and data due to the effort of upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3. You should have proven that my CONCLUSION (not assumption) was not true. Someone else has already posted the same problem here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/problems-upgrading-from-4-2-to-4-3-without-cluster.29511/.

I have also hopelessly followed all instructions on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downloads before falling into the deepest part.

To enjoy the new release, I have wiped out the upgrade-failed computer and made a fresh install on it. The new one is really amazing. I love its new design and power.

Is there any chance that an upgrade will be less painful? Proxmox is powerful but hard to manage for newbies (like me).

Thanks.

upgrades are well tested by us, both for the cluster and single-node scenario. for the 4.3 release, there was no difference at all between the enterprise repository and the no-subscription repository at the time of release. some of the new packages where available in no-subscription a bit earlier for more testing.

if you don't provide any hint at what might have gone wrong in your case (log files, version you upgraded from, any non-default host setup, ...), there is no chance to find out what went wrong, and thus prevent it in the future if it was a bug somewhere on the PVE side of things. the person in the thread you linked had a misconfigured /etc/hosts file, which is not caused by PVE, but by the user.

Reactions: Nam Trần
while it might in theory be possible, upgrading to or running an outdated version is not supported by proxmox.

Yes I know this, for test I was install fresh version 4.1.1 and do it upgrade to 4.2.17, and it is theoretical working, but don't know if all task I am doing to upgrade to different version.

Hmm... i don't know. But test it with synaptic. Install synaptic and force the version of the package. Maybe there is an 4.2 still online.

Maybe it is smaller package / command they doing this same and it will be more safety than my proposition?

Update a running Proxmox Virtual Environment 4.x to latest 4.3
Make sure that you have uploaded a valid subscription key to your Proxmox VE host. Here is the howto for the CLI:

I have read and followed the upgrade guide for times but nothing can be made. The first line (in red and bold) indicates that only subscribed hosts are eligible to be upgraded, doens't it?

Reactions: Nam Trần
No, that is not true, you do not need a subscription to upgrade! You can do it with the pve-no-subscription repo just fine.
You have just to set it in the /etc/apt/source.list file as described in: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories#_proxmox_ve_no_subscription_repository

I did try adding pve-no-subscription repository once. Upgrade was available but apt-get dist-upgrade failed as some packages could not be configured. After rebooting, the overall system becomes scarily down.

I did try adding pve-no-subscription repository once. Upgrade was available but apt-get dist-upgrade failed as some packages could not be configured. After rebooting, the overall system becomes scarily down.

that probably means some misconfiguration on your part. upgrading with pve-no-subscription should work perfectly fine, both for regular updates and for new minor releases.

If you have a PVE 4.X and want to upgrade the following has to work (I use it also on some of my test hosts often with this repo):
Code:
apt-get update
# check if all repos could be downloaded (if just pve-enterprise errors its still ok)
apt-get dist-upgrade
# check if no error was printed, else post them if you do not know how to fix them

If it does not work post also the output of:

Code:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

The followings are information about one of my node. All VMs are stopped and moved to another node with Proxmox 4.3 installed.

apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade does not work.

I am not sure that adding pve-no-subscription to sources.list may help.

pveversion -v

Code:
proxmox-ve: 4.2-48 (running kernel: 4.4.6-1-pve)

pve-manager: 4.2-2 (running version: 4.2-2/725d76f0)

pve-kernel-4.4.6-1-pve: 4.4.6-48

lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2

corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2

libqb0: 1.0-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-39

qemu-server: 4.0-72

pve-firmware: 1.1-8

libpve-common-perl: 4.0-59

libpve-access-control: 4.0-16

libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-50

pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2

vncterm: 1.2-1

pve-qemu-kvm: 2.5-14

pve-container: 1.0-62

pve-firewall: 2.0-25

pve-ha-manager: 1.0-28

ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1

glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u2

lxc-pve: 1.1.5-7

lxcfs: 2.0.0-pve2

cgmanager: 0.39-pve1

criu: 1.6.0-1

zfsutils: 0.6.5-pve9~jessie

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
Code:
deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib

# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main contrib

cat /etc/apt/sources.d.list
Code:
deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian jessie pve-enterprise

The followings are information about one of my node. All VMs are stopped and moved to another node with Proxmox 4.3 installed.

apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade does not work.

I am not sure that adding pve-no-subscription to sources.list may help.
Hi,
without an valid repository (pve-enterprise with subscription or pve-no-subscription), you can't do an upgrade - of course - because your system don't see any new pve-packages.

On my home-system I do an upgrade without trouble (with pve-no-subscription).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!