Updatedb messing with backups..

marotori

Jun 17, 2009
This may have come up before.. but I thought worth mentioning.

If you occasionally have backups using the vzdump system fail - because the /mnt/pve/vzsnap folder could not be unmounted...The issue is most likely the mlocate cron job traversing this mount point.The fix is very simple - and really should be included by default from the install cdrom.

edit: /etc/updatedb.conf

Change this line:pRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media /mnt/pve"

To include the path /mnt/pve

Job done.

Now future snapshot backups will not get locked down by the files being open - and then not being able to unmount the file system!

Rob

Thanks for the tip! Got me wondering why vzsnap0 doesn't always get unmounted.
Although this way I won't be able to find the images I need, since currently I'm using
locate <VMID> | grep raw

:rolleyes:
Maybe it would be better to exclude /mnt/vzsnap0 instead?

You could always do a:

find /var/lib/vz -name "*id*"

Or... Just make sure the cron for mlocate runs at a time that does not interfere!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!