Unlimiting LXC quota with Disk Size = 0 impossible in 4.1

kobuki

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2008
I'm evaluating the new PVE 4.1 environment and have stumbled upon a problem related to limiting disk quotas of LXC containters. I have an existing ext4 volume I want to use for CT storage, and there used to be the possibility in 4.0 to enter a 0 as quota. It used to turn on directory based storage so the CT could use all the space it has on that volume. Now I can't enter 0 as the smallest value that can be entered is 0.1 - when trying to create the CT it throws all kinds of errors when trying to populate the autocreated raw image.

Is it still supposed to work (AKA bug), or there's something else instead in 4.1?

> I have an existing ext4 volume I want to use for CT storage, and there used to be the possibility in 4.0 to enter a 0 as quota

Do you mean here enter '0' as the root filesystem size ?

Yes, I think it's called root filesystem size (can't check it right now). In short, I want an LCX CT in directory storage, not raw, and without setting a quota on it. With the base lxc-* tool set, it's possible.

I've run a quick test. When I issue the following command:
Code:
pct create 100 /var/lib/vz/template/cache/debian-8.0-standard_8.0-5_amd64.tar.gz -rootfs=/var/lib/lxc/100

Then it creates a working CT using a newly created directory at /var/lib/lxc/100, using simple file storage, without any form of container. So the capability is still there in the framework. This kind of setup used to work when specifying 0 as root disk size in the web frontend. Could this be fixed so it works from the frontend too?

Hi,

this is an advanced feature and it is available at pvesh (api) and cli.

Hi Kobuki
The reason we don't want to enable this in the GUI, is that containers which are created this way will not be limited in anyway
for the storage they use, leaving the possibility one container will fill your entire data partition.
We don't want people to shoot them in the foot when using the GUI, but allow advanced users to override this in the shell.

Ah, I see, thanks for the explanation. Our main use case for this is that we use a lot of small development/build servers for which we don't need this kind of limitation. I can live with that if the command line API continues to provide this feature. Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!