Unidentified Network on Windows VM

ChuckNoxis

Dec 23, 2017
Hi, I'm a new user of proxmox (I use it since ~3 weeks). I only have a node with Proxmox VE 5.1-41 on a SoYouStart's (OVH company) dedicated server.
I want to run Windows 10 1703 on a VM but each time I tried, I got an "Unidentified Network" on my VM.

Here is my configuration :
firefox_2017-12-24_00-58-49.png
I added virtio win 0.1.141 iso as CD and start the VM.
When I can configure the partitionning, I load the NetKVM/win10/amd64, viostor/win10/amd64 and balloon/win10/amd64 drivers (I tried with win8.1 too).

And here I got the Unidentified Network with "No internet".
upload_2017-12-24_1-32-24.png

In Network tab of my node, vmbr0 is configured with the ip of the server 188.***.***.186, submask 255.255.255.0 and my gateway is 188.***.***.254

I didn't found the solution yet on the forum or on google, so I've finally created my account ^^

Thanks for your help :) (I can provide, of course, any details needed I've forgotten)

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-24_0-58-51.png
    upload_2017-12-24_0-58-51.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 48
Did you set a static IP on your VM? AFAIK, OVH doesn't use DHCP and if I recall right you need to add the MAC address of the VM in their hosting panel. Check with OVH on this.

Did you set a static IP on your VM? AFAIK, OVH doesn't use DHCP and if I recall right you need to add the MAC address of the VM in their hosting panel. Check with OVH on this.

So I can't do a bridge ? Like a vm on a desktop pc (I think like Virtualbox vmware etc ^^) ?

How can I set an ip on a VM ? The interface is a little different between VM and CT.
upload_2017-12-27_15-38-8.png
I don't know where to put the ip. Do I need to create a new bridge ?

Because I only found how to set it on a LXC CT
upload_2017-12-27_15-40-52.png

Thanks for your help :)

So I can't do a bridge ? Like a vm on a desktop pc (I think like Virtualbox vmware etc ^^) ?
You are already running your VM on a bridge 'vmbr0' by default. But a bridge is nothing more then a hub and therefore either your VM has an IP or gets one by DHCP. You can switch your network to NAT, but then the machine is not accessible from the outside.

How can I set an ip on a VM ?
A VM is a virtualized PC, so you have all the hardware available inside your VM. So, the IP configuration is done as usual as on your desktop at home.

The interface is a little different between VM and CT.
Yes, containers use part of the host itself, so the setup is different.

I don't know where to put the ip. Do I need to create a new bridge ?
No you don't need a second bridge. See my first quote.

Reactions: ChuckNoxis

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!