Unattended Installation of Proxmox?

Rumen Rachkov

Jul 15, 2014
Is there a way (boot parameters or kickstart) to make an unattended installation of Proxmox? I've made a DHCP, PXE servers for the installation but only because of the hostname, the root password and the time zone I have to go through the whole installation process manually? Is there someone that has made an unattended installation script?

Hey,
at this point you can not install proxmox VE automatically. An option would be to install a generic Debian and then install
Proxmox VE via Puppet or Chef.

Best regards
Henry

Hi all,
I have quite the same needs of Mr. Rumen Rachkov.
I've successfully settled up a PXE boot of ProxMox 5 iso, but now I am looking for how to pass kickstart parameters to tune hostname, password, timezone and all parameters that a fresh Proxmox installation needs.
Did ProxMox made some improvement in this direction?

Just use Debian with preseed (kickstart is for RHEL-based systems). You do not need puppet, chef or similar things, just plain Debian automation. For a fast setup, you should have a local Debian and PVE mirror.

Reactions: El Tebe
Just use Debian with preseed (kickstart is for RHEL-based systems). You do not need puppet, chef or similar things, just plain Debian automation. For a fast setup, you should have a local Debian and PVE mirror.

Are you saying the preseed is similar as kickstart? You mentioned PVE Mirror, Just exactly what you mean by that?

Are you saying the preseed is similar as kickstart? You mentioned PVE Mirror, Just exactly what you mean by that?

preseed is for Debian-based systems, kickstart for RHEL-based systems. You can always mirror package repositories (deb and rpm) locally to speed up installations.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!