[SOLVED] Unable to use lxc on ZFS rpool

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello,

pve-manager/4.1-5/f910ef5c (running kernel: 4.2.6-1-pve)

We would like to use lxc for some applicationvirtualisation. We only have an rpool:
Code:
pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
     raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
       sda2    ONLINE       0     0     0
       sdb2    ONLINE       0     0     0
       sdc2    ONLINE       0     0     0
     raidz1-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
       sdd2    ONLINE       0     0     0
       sde2    ONLINE       0     0     0
       sdf2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
But i was able to create an lxc. No on pve-1 and not on an extra Dataset vor lxc. And yes also not local, but i know this is normal. Here are the error:

Code:
mount: special device /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc/subvol-100-disk-1 does not exist
mounting container failed
TASK ERROR: command 'mount -o bind /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc/subvol-100-disk-1 /var/lib/lxc/100/rootfs/' failed: exit code 32

So what i have to do?

Thanks a lot

Proxmox had a bug with ZFS mountpoint. If your pool (let say name tank) mountpoint not starts with / (like /tank ) Proxmox stops with this error. The way to pass it create catalog path and set mount point to it.
example.
1. mkdir -p /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc
2. zfs set mountpoint /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc

Nice Bug :) It is working fine! Thank you.

zfs set mountpoint=/rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc

I recommend you to edit wiki because it does not cover the beginning of the problem . First of all you don't need to create ZFS file system if you are using one of existing file system ( or you wont get into this problem )

Before this problem

mount: special device /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc/subvol-100-disk-1 does not exist
mounting container failed
TASK ERROR: command 'mount -o bind /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/lxc/subvol-100-disk-1 /var/lib/lxc/100/rootfs/' failed: exit code 32

you can catch another problem in creating LXC. To reproduce it do these steps.

1. Create new ZFS file system. ( tank/test_fs )
2. Add to PROXMOX storage. ( tank/test_fs . ID test )
3. Create LXC on test storage.
4. On creating time you can catch mount problem and container files will appear /var/lib/lxc/VM_ID/rootfs instead of tank/test_fs//subvol-VM_ID-disk-1 ( If I remember correct )
5. Trying to start LXC you will get into previously problem.

So the PROXMOX problem locates in the same place - the mount action script.

Could someone please describe the exactly how to trigger this bug? I've never encountered this, not with using the pool directly, not with using a subdirectory of the pool.
The pool's storage section (from /etc/pve/storage.cfg) as well as all the changes made to the pool and datasets via `zpool set` and `zfs set` would be interesting.

To trigger this bug you need:

1. ZFS pool with another location of mountpoint. ( ZFS pool: zfs_mirror mountpoint: /media/zfs_mirror )
2. Create ZFS file system for example zfs_mirror/test ( mountpoint will be /media/zfs_mirror/test )
3. Add ZFS storage ( ID: test ZFS Pool : zfs_mirror/test )
4. Create LXC CT on test storage

Result:
mount: special device /zfs_mirror/test/subvol-106-disk-1 does not exist
mounting container failed - command 'mount -o bind /zfs_mirror/test/subvol-106-disk-1 /var/lib/lxc/106/rootfs/' failed: exit code 32
extracting archive '/var/lib/vz/template/cache/debian-8.0-standard_8.0-1_amd64.tar.gz'
Total bytes read: 533012480 (509MiB, 104MiB/s)
Detected container architecture: amd64
Creating SSH host key 'ssh_host_ecdsa_key' - this may take some time ...
Creating SSH host key 'ssh_host_key' - this may take some time ...
Creating SSH host key 'ssh_host_rsa_key' - this may take some time ...
Creating SSH host key 'ssh_host_dsa_key' - this may take some time ...
Creating SSH host key 'ssh_host_ed25519_key' - this may take some time ...
TASK OK

As you can see PROXMOX use different path to mount. All CT files are extracted to /var/lib/lxc/ID/rootfs

Starting CT manually

# lxc-start -n 106 -F
mount: special device /zfs_mirror/test/subvol-106-disk-1 does not exist
command 'mount -o bind /zfs_mirror/test/subvol-106-disk-1 /var/lib/lxc/106/rootfs/' failed: exit code 32
lxc-start: conf.c: run_buffer: 342 Script exited with status 32
lxc-start: start.c: lxc_init: 436 failed to run pre-start hooks for container '106'.
lxc-start: start.c: __lxc_start: 1170 failed to initialize the container
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 344 The container failed to start.
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 348 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options.

Ok, nice. I've deleted my wikientry for the first time. It works fine, but machine is unable to boot. Had an grub-error to mount the lxc dataset. So what the real right procedure to use lxc on an zfs rpool?

As mention before change ZFS storage mountpoint. Before added to storage or after its not matter. But before creating LXC CT

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!