Unable to start VM - Could not connect to resource group manager

mattyc

Jun 14, 2012
Hi all,

Wondering if you can help me out. I have setup a new cluster, added a new CT but unable to start it getting the following error:

Executing HA start for CT 100
Member maggie trying to enable pvevm:100...Could not connect to resource group manager
TASK ERROR: command 'clusvcadm -e pvevm:100 -m maggie' failed: exit code 1

root@maggie:~# clustat -x
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<clustat version="4.1.1">
<cluster name="ion" id="752" generation="276"/>
<quorum quorate="1" groupmember="0"/>
<nodes>
<node name="maggie" state="1" local="1" estranged="0" rgmanager="0" rgmanager_master="0" qdisk="0" nodeid="0x00000001"/>
<node name="marge" state="1" local="0" estranged="0" rgmanager="0" rgmanager_master="0" qdisk="0" nodeid="0x00000002"/>
</nodes>
</clustat>

Unable to start rgmanager from command line it seems.

Any tips/help appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

You configured, enabled and tested fencing?

OK it seems I had to "Activate" HA to be able to start the virtual machines.

Fair amount of config in this new version of proxmox. Will definitely be testing a lot more before going live with it.

Cheers for the help.

I had the same probleme (no fencing !). But the PVE let me add HA capability to my VM without testing first if fencing exist and if RGManager was started before on the cluster.
May I suggest :

1/ test fencing and RGManager before adding HA capability (even HA status is given to ok while it does not work)
2/ trying to start RGManager gives status ok, but remains stopped while giving no error at all : should return a no ok status with a "no fence" warning

Gilles

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!