Unable to send backslash (\) to VM with embeded java VNC

Torrian

Jan 22, 2014
Dear sirs,

I am french so i have a french keyboard layout and as i said in title i am unable to send a backslash (\) which is ctrl+alt+8 or alt-gr+8 on my keyboard.

I am brand new to proxmox and i use the version 3.1. If i miss any setting please tell me

Thank you in advance

Torrian

Last edited:
and where are you trying to send \ ? web gui? java console? spice console?

Marco

First thank you for your fast answer,

I try to send \ using the console with the embeded java vnc to my VM's. It could be any windows/linux with or without graphical environnement it do the same: nothing.

well, mine works (italian, alt-092). don't know what happens to your...

Workarounds:
- for CTs goto pve ssh console, vzctl enter VMID, type what you want... (or any other remote control tool, for CTs and VMs)
- from pve web gui, VMID > monitor, try to use qemu sendkey codes... see http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Monitor#sendkey_keys (edit this seems not to work)

adding: have you tried switching web gui language temporarily? or changeing keyboard layout temporarily? does anything change?

Marco

Last edited:
Im afraid it comes down to this: every single VNC or KVM system out there has at least one situation where it wont let you send a seemingly "normal" keypress, often depending on client and server keyboard layout. Hell even HP's virtual console has lots of keys that are broken...

As m.ardito suggested, temporarily using a different keyboard layout clientside often helps. As far as windows clients are concerned, just have an additional keyboard layout installed (I recommend English, either US or UK, depending on preferences). You can then switch the keyboard layout for individual windows by hitting ALT+SHIFT while the window is selected (for a VNC client window, make sure your mouse hasnt been captured by it, or the ALT+SHIFT keypress might be sent to the VNC instead of your windows interpreting it. Easiest way to do it is just click on the titlebar of the window).

Its not that different for linux clients either tho since most prebuilt GUIs come with a hotkey to switch keyboard layouts

Same problem here with spanish keyboard.
My 'workaround' for windows is to use OnScreenKeyboard (osk.exe) to type any special key I need.

Unfortunately not found a workaround for linux console (Tab, Pipe '|', .... )

Regards

Hello,

Here is a trick I found to send all altgr+"key" : press altgr+ the key next to the one you want send (hold it)+ key
Example to send altgr+3 which is # on a french keyboard i press altgr+2+3 and it send the correct key to the VM.

Changing the keyboard layout work but you have to search where is the key you want send so its a little bit boring.

If any update could fix this annoying bug it would be appreciated :)

Torrian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!