Unable to migrate a VM

samontetro

Jun 19, 2012
Grenoble, France
I have a cluster of 3 nodes proxmox VE 4.4-12/e71b7a74 with CEPH storage set up (one pool).
I've created a Linux CentOS7 VM in the CEPH storage pool
I've added a disk in this VM, located in the same CEPH storage pool, to store data with the "No Backup" flag because I do not want to backup these large data when backing up my VM.
This disk is XFS formatted and mounted in the VM on /home.

Live migration fails with:

Mar 15 09:34:23 starting migration of VM 100 to node 'proxmost2' (192.168.22.226)
Mar 15 09:34:24 ERROR: Failed to sync data - can't live migrate attached local disks without with-local-disks option
Mar 15 09:34:24 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
Mar 15 09:34:24 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:01): Failed to sync data - can't live migrate attached local disks without with-local-disks option
TASK ERROR: migration aborted

But the added disk is not local, it is on the CEPH storage pool...
Moreover I fail to find information about this with-local-disks option.

I uncheck the "live" option in the migration pop-up but it fails too with :

"cant migrate running VM without --online (500"

My aim is to allow live migration of this VM

I do not know how to get out of this bad situation.... Thanks for your help

PatrickVMInstall20.jpg

your CentOS ISO is on local storage.

Thanks Tom

I was focusing on OS and data storage, forgotting the cdrom! This is the main difference between the proxmox training session i follow last year and doing again the same config some months later.... but alone in front of my cluster this time :rolleyes:

Live migration is running fine now.

Patrick

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!