Unable to install Windows 10 guest ??

falagar

Nov 26, 2017
Hello,

I have been evaluating Proxmox in a small lab for nearly one year now. I decided to give it a try in production, for the upcoming W7 to W10 park migration.

I never had any problem with W7 guests. Install works fine, and VM runs smooth.

But despite a lot of time spent on this, I cannot manage to install Windows 10 on Proxmox. During installation, the installer need to get virtIO drivers. I present the iso file from Fedora to the VM through a virtual CD reader. The installer finds the drivers, but is unable to use it, and the installer stucks here...

I tried another version of virtIO drivers, I tried another iso from MS (first W10 version, then 1703, and a few days ago 1711...).

Any idea ?

PS : using Proxmox-4.4-18 (up-to-date) and virtIO-0.1.141

PPS : Please, don't tell me I must upgrade the lab... This is not an option for me.

0.1.141 is ok. Works here on many hosts fine. Never had an problem with win10. The error in that i was running for a while is that i had the wrong Windows-ISO. I was able to choose the right drivers at installation, but i was not able to use it. With an other win10 ISO it was running normaly.

Maybe workaround is helping you: Install win10 with sata and e1000. After that change to SCSI (HDD) and virtio (NET). Maybe this is helping you a bit: https://www.proxmox.com/de/training/video-tutorials/item/install-windows-2016-server-on-proxmox-ve

Hello,

Thank your for these suggestions. I will give it another try this week...

Already tried the SATA / e1000 tip but did not work. Will try another iso.. This one was generated by the MS media creation tool.

Thank you,

Hello,

I tried a iso file downloaded directly from MS, instead of generating it with the MS creation tool. And, surprise.... It works perfectly !

Very strange, but thanks for your help !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!