Unable To Install Proxmox With ZFS RAIDZ Due To 1 Hard Drive Being Slightly Smaller

mhayhurst

Jul 21, 2016
First, thank you for this wonderful ESXi alternative! My issue is that I'm unable to install Proxmox 4.2-17/e1400248 on 3X 4TB hard drives in a ZFS RAIDZ because one drive is 1MB smaller than the other two (all of the hard drives are the same make and model). Proxmox complains that the drives must all be the same size and I am unable to proceed with the installation. I am also unable to install the Proxmox ZFS RAIDZ on one or two drives in an attempt to manually add the third drive from the CLI after the installation. Is there anyway I can remedy this issue without purchasing another drive hoping it will be an equal size as the other two?

That is very, very strange. I never encountered different disk sizes in same model. Even in different models, I always saw the same size. Could you please post the result (just curious, maybe you need to install the package with the same name first):

Code:
lsscsi --size

The only way I can think of is to manually create the ZFS pool after creating identical sized partitions and then add them to RAID-z1. This involves a lot of manual steps, yet should work perfectly.

That is very, very strange. I never encountered different disk sizes in same model. Even in different models, I always saw the same size. Could you please post the result (just curious, maybe you need to install the package with the same name first):

Code:
lsscsi --size

The only way I can think of is to manually create the ZFS pool after creating identical sized partitions and then add them to RAID-z1. This involves a lot of manual steps, yet should work perfectly.

I thought it was strange as well. Here is the output of lsscsi --size:

Code:
root@proxmox2:~# lsscsi --size
[0:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EZRX-00S 0A80  /dev/sda   4.00TB
[1:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EZRX-00S 0A80  /dev/sdb   4.00TB
[2:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD40EZRX-00S 0A80  /dev/sdc   4.00TB
[6:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  TEAC     DV-28S-W         1.2A  /dev/sr0        -

That's with Proxmox installed as a ZFS Raid1 on two drives and the third drive hot plugged in but you can see the disks all are Western Digital, same size and model. I have also attached some pics of this issue I encounter during installation.

IMG_20160821_191901.jpg IMG_20160821_191959.jpg

Code:
lsscsi --size

Is there a way to bypass that error during the installation process? I would think if I could get past that then ZFS could be created using the smallest drive's capacity as the VDEV size. I would like to add all three drives to one VDEV instead of creating two separate VDEV's and then adding those to one Pool.

I can only think of installing on a USB disk and then manually create the pool and move everything over there.

Best to test than inside Proxmox itself with 4 virtual disks.

I can only think of installing on a USB disk and then manually create the pool and move everything over there.

Best to test than inside Proxmox itself with 4 virtual disks.

Would I migrate the Proxmox install on the USB disk over to the ZFS pool using rsync or something else?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!