Unable to install Proxmox: Garbled text after Starting Proxmox installation

FortuneCookie101

Oct 15, 2019
I'm trying to install Proxmox on a new build PC via bootable USB and as soon as it hits "Starting Proxmox installation" the text garbles and becomes unreadable.

Things I've tried so far:
  • Ctrl + Alt + F(N) to switch to a different X window, all the same garbled mess.
  • Booting with debug options noacpi, noapic, vga=normal etc.
  • Checking the ISO and re-imaging the usb.
I'm assuming it's a driver issue as I'm able to get a console just fine in debug mode.

Update: I noticed the log stating "nvidiafb cannot request pci regions" before switching to the screen in the screenshot. Starting it with boot option "module blacklist=nouveau" stops the garbled text appearing but it seems the graphical installer doesn't start.

Attachments

• 20191015_110854.jpg
    20191015_110854.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Solved by installing Debian first and then installing Proxmox. I had to add module_blacklist=nouveau to grub default otherwise the same garbled display will show.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!