Unable to create EFI Disk on ZFS over iSCSI LIO

Republicus

Aug 7, 2017
Ive just configured my SAN to run as a PVE node/storage appliance with ZFS over iSCSI as a LIO target.
NFS and iSCSI over RDMA is working well with the exception of adding EFI disks to a VM.

Code:
Copying EFI vars image failed: command '/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -n -f raw -O raw /usr/share/pve-edk2-firmware//OVMF_VARS.fd iscsi://10.12.12.100/iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.pvesan.x8664:sn.ac80drg5766e/6' failed: exit code 1 (500)

The best I have found similar is here @ https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/ovmf-uefi-bios-improvments.26174/ from years ago. A fix was made to resolve that issue but I am now on latest PVE 6.X and experiencing what appears to be the same problems.

A workaround reported in the post linked above by creating the EFI Disk on local storage and moving the disk onto the iSCSI storage works in my case also; albeit with a bit more work...
I was unable to move the EFI Disk via the GUI until I detached and remounted the disk as a non-efi disk, then edit the vm config manually to efidisk0:.

Reporting and hoping some help may resolve this for me and others who may run into this problem.
Thanks!

Hi, can you run the command which failed manually and post any error message?

Seems to be really not possible, but your specific error could be interesting.

I've also discovered that while creating a new VM, select OVMF as BIOS, and create the EFI Disk on the LIO iSCSI storage: the creation fails because both disks; it appears to be trying to use the same zvol name.

Code:
TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 101 - error with cfs lock 'storage-iscsi-storage2': /dev/raid50vol/pve/zvols/vm-101-disk-0: LUN already exists! at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/LunCmd/LIO.pm line 241.

If this can be replicated, I don't mind either updating the bug I earlier reported to include this info or creating a new one.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!