Unable to activate storage - cifs mount dies randomly

autumnwalker

Sep 30, 2019
Hello,

I've been running into this issue recently where my cifs mount for "backup" randomly goes offline. The icon in the GUI has a question mark and I start seeing entries like this in the log:

Oct 11 11:41:05 vmh01 pvestatd[1371]: unable to activate storage 'backup' - directory '/mnt/pve/backup' does not exist or is unreachable

I have other cifs mounts which are working fine attached to the same NAS device - so Proxmox is able to reach the device fine. Uses the same user account / credentials as well. It's just this one mount named 'backup'.

In order to recover I have to deactivate the storage and from the console, umount /mnt/pve/backup, and then reactivate the storage in the GUI.

Any thoughts on why this happens?

autumnwalker

Sep 30, 2019
Further - when I navigate in the console to /mnt/pve and run ls I get: "ls: cannot access 'backup': Stale file handle".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!