[SOLVED] UEFI install and RAID

Nov 13, 2017
I've been trying install PVE 5.1 on U1 server with intel Xeon E3-1220 in UEFI Mode - create RAID1 in BIOS, but PVE brokes that "raid" and installs on single disk.

If I chose ZFS raid1, they don't create an EFI partition...

Any ideas to prevent PVE installation broke my Intel's "RAID"? When i try with raid on Adaptec raid controllers or LSI all works fine and PVE see my volumes, but Intel's software raid they dont accept...

Last edited:
You cannot use bios raid (fakeraid).

Instead, use ZFS, but not in UEFI, use legacy boot.

Instead, use ZFS, but not in UEFI, use legacy boot.

FYI: Last week I tested a new Fujitsu RX2540M4 which I could not switch to legacy mode and was therefore not able to boot the installed ZFS PVE 5.1 That was really strange. Non-ZFS UEFI works fine.

it's too strange, i cannot use my Western Digital WD Red 8 TB HDD in legacy mode...

So i need normal raid controller, or hyper-v server 2016...

Instead, use ZFS, but not in UEFI, use legacy boot

I tried installing proxmox 5.1 on Asus H81M-CT with RAID10 using Legacy mode, but I wasn't able to boot after the installation, so I boot from Rescue Mode and using this guide (Starting at he part [ Digression: Get Ready for UEFI Boot ]) I was able to boot from UEFI. This is what I did (user: root and stretch pve-no-subscription for source.list):

Code:
apt upgrade
apt install grub2-common grub-efi zfs-initramfs
mkdir /boot/efi
mkfs.vfat /dev/sda9
mount /dev/sda9 /boot/efi
grub-probe -d /dev/sda9
update-grub
grub-install -d /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi /dev/sda

I added the last line to fstab
Code:
cat /etc/fstab
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/zvol/rpool/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000DM010-2EP102_Z9A7MW12-part9       /boot/efi   vfat   defaults   0 1

The grub-install -d /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi /dev/sda command got me this output
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
efibootmgr: EFI variables are not supported on this system.
efibootmgr: EFI variables are not supported on this system.
Installation finished. No error reported

So I downloaded the rEFInd Boot Manager and did the guide part [ Reboot into rEFInd ]
Then I withdrew the flash drive and Proxmox booted smoothly

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!