[SOLVED] ubuntu 12.04 KVM Error during boot - never finishing boot from console

rwron

Mar 7, 2014
I have been fighting for days with some very strange random errors and failed VM's.

One of them was that when booting in console randomly in the boot process it would hang - i assumed it was because it didnt work and have tested everything from CPU types, kernels, ISCSI connections etc. etc.

After many tests and attempts to get things to boot i booted up in recovery mode and then did a fsck and continued on to normal boot - and it went to login and came out with "initctl: event failed" so i backtraced it to beeing related to modes/vga sets that conflicts with the console.

The solution is to go to the bootmenu and adding nomodeset fixes the issue and the console works 100% again.

I found the solution in this link:

http://serverfault.com/questions/561286/why-is-my-machine-not-showing-anything-when-booting

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!