Two Node Cluster

ELS_sean

Jan 12, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Hi All,

I posted a question about this buildout earlier and I think I am on the right track but I just needed some confirmation.

I have two servers both running proxmox4.4 each has a 2 TB drive with a single zfs (zraid0) on it.
I am setting up pvs-zsync to keep the two systems in sync the VMs with each other (I only have 14 VMs at the moment and only 6 or 7 are running at any give time but I want to be able to grow that number maybe 20% or so) .
Can I do migrations between the two nodes? or should I look at DRBD as a better solution?
Once the zsyncs are done do I need to turn on clustering (corosync?) to be able to migrations?

Once again if there are documents out there that I can reference please let me know.

Thanks,
Sean

I have two servers both running proxmox4.4 each has a 2 TB drive with a single zfs (zraid0) on it.
Very bad idea. No security. Do no use Raid0 in production!!!

I am setting up pvs-zsync to keep the two systems in sync the VMs
Yes thats fine. Depending on your datasets you need 10GBit for the network. And yes more then one disk/server ;)

Can I do migrations between the two nodes? or should I look at DRBD as a better solution?
When you use pve-zsync you can't use migration with same VM. You can start the vm directly on the target by move the config from pve-zsyncdirectory. pve-zsync is more the manuelway, i think it was not designt for migrate a VM-process from host to host.
DRBD is not a real good solution... not any more: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/drbdmanage-license-change.30404/
Better use 3 nodes and Ceph.

Once the zsyncs are done do I need to turn on clustering (corosync?) to be able to migrations?
Yes you need corosync.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!