Two Node Cluster

GarthK

Feb 7, 2009
I just converted two UBS 12.04 KVM hosts to PVE 2.1 with latest patches. All was going well until I created a two-node cluster (no HA configured) and then the NFS shares went inactive on the first node in the cluster. I didn't have to add NFS to the second node. They just showed up there when it joined the cluster. That was fine but all the shares then went inactive on the first node.

Two questions: First, does a two-node cluster make any sense and, second, why did the NFS stores go inactive on the first node?

Thanx,
Garth

I just converted two UBS 12.04 KVM hosts to PVE 2.1 with latest patches. All was going well until I created a two-node cluster (no HA configured) and then the NFS shares went inactive on the first node in the cluster. I didn't have to add NFS to the second node. They just showed up there when it joined the cluster. That was fine but all the shares then went inactive on the first node.

Two questions: First, does a two-node cluster make any sense and, second, why did the NFS stores go inactive on the first node?

Thanx,
Garth
Hi,
you will have much less trouble if you use 3 nodes.
With two nodes, you lost the quorum if any node have an problem (/etc/pve will be read only on both nodes).

You can enable quorum on the healty node with "pvecm expected 1".

Any hints in the logfiles about the nfs?

Udo

Hi,
you will have much less trouble if you use 3 nodes.
With two nodes, you lost the quorum if any node have an problem (/etc/pve will be read only on both nodes).

You can enable quorum on the healty node with "pvecm expected 1".

Any hints in the logfiles about the nfs?

Udo

Hi udo

A thought: without HA configurated is necessary 3 Nodes for quorum? - Ummm, I don't understand, I think that no is necessary to have the file cluster.conf if I don't want HA, why do you say that without HA qourum is necessary?

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:
If you loose quorum /etc/pve filesystem will be read-only making it impossible to start/stop/create VMs.

You can work around this like udo mentioned using "pvecm expected 1"

Thank you e100, I always learn something new thanks to you.

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!