Trying to install latest Proxmox from USB on fresh hard drive

NeckBeardPrince

Mar 24, 2014
Not sure what's going on here, trying to install to one of our servers I used GParted live to wipe out all the drives in the box. I boot to the USB drive hit F2 for verbose and I see this
testing cdrom /dev/sr0mount: mounting /dev/sr0 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument umont: can't umount /mnt: Invalid argument....This message is repeated a few times and ends with no cdrom found - unable to continue (type exit ot CTRL-D to reboot)

I went into the BIOS and disabled the CDROM for kicks and no change.. any suggestions? I remember having this issue about a year ago when I was using Proxmox at home but can't remember for the life of me how I resolved it.

Hi,
now, with version Proxmox 4.2 I also build an bootable USB drive with dd like described in the Wiki
and I get the same error:
Code:
testing cdrom /dev/sr0
umount: can't umount /mnt: Invalid argument
testing again in 5 seconds
from that it is only possible to do a reboot.

If I burn a CD, and put it in the DVD-ROM drive, but boot from the USB drive, then the Proxmox Installation change to the CD instead the error
What is the reason for this behavior?
regards,
maxprox

Last edited:
I think it's a bug. It tried to mount the CD/DVD drive, which is not there.

Writing a CD/DVD image to an usb stick to boot is one thing (which works), having it working properly another. Same applies to other techniques like RedHat's kickstart which also works from an USB stick, but of course does not detect it as CD/DVD and therefore the options for automatic install don't work there.

Reactions: maxprox
i tried it my self the other day,it does not work....thank god i got a zalman usb hard disk,and it works fine.....maybe you should use a cd....if possible....

Experiencing the exact same issue with 4.2

I created a USB boot with Rufus 2.9 (standard options), it boots fine but then goes through the above sequence, can't find CDROM, can't umount /mnt then completely locks up - even the keyboard doesn't respond.

I see from google searches this has been happening since 3.x? Surely USB is the most common install medium these days? Who uses optical anymore :(

It looks like the bug was closed without resolution, but I am experiencing the same issue. I have tried grabbing the ISO again and 'dd'ing it to a different drive; same result.

got the same problem with proxmox ve 4.3 - I got it working by reformatting the whole USB drive (, not a partition! the drive seemed to have a GPT instead of a MBR!) with the Ubuntu drive manager, using a FAT/MBR.
Then I copied the iso onto the stick with dd again, and booting worked.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!