TLS for outgoing connections (GDPR related)

Discussion in 'Mail Gateway: Installation and configuration' started by taurix, Aug 9, 2018.

1. taurix

taurix New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

Some companies I communicate with are requiring that your outgoing SMTP initiates TLS with their mailservers because they say it is required by the GDPR.

Proxmox mail is not currently doing that, is it possible to make it do so? I'm not looking to set up TLS for incoming, that is explained in the manual.

2. dcsapak

dcsapak Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

quote from the admin guide:
    this is currently not configurable

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dietmar

dietmar Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

We do TLS if remote client offer TLS (opportunistic TLS).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    DerDanilo likes this.
  4. heutger

heutger Active Member

GDPR requires encryption, if possible, also content encryption should be used. However "real world" would prefer to offer encryption as well as clear text, also BSI recommends to offer weak ciphers down to NULL (I recently tested a setup with only serious ciphers with result, that big companies can't mail me any more). So PMG default to offer STARTTLS in both directions is fine. If you want (on your own risk) to change this behavior, check on how to copy the templates and adjust them by yourself and have a look at smtp_tls_security_level options of postfix. You can enforce encryption only, but as said, it's on your own risk.

DerDanilo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice