TIPS: Install Proxmox on >= 2 TB HDD

kotakomputer

Renowned Member
May 14, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.proxmoxindo.com
Spend 6 hours for me to make Proxmox able to install and boot on 2 TB HDD. I like to share it here, because I see many tutorial using compleks solution, such as:
  1. Use small HDD first as boot device
  2. Manually create partition <= 1 TB
  3. Use Windows to create the partitions
  4. Modify boot info to make it bootable after successful installation

Here the steps, I am using 2 TB WDC Green.

1. Make sure your BIOS support >= 2 TB HDD. In this case, I am using Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 Rev 3.0. Since I'm using AMD3+ cpu then I neet to upgrade my BIOS.
  2. Now goto BIOS - HDD settings: select AHCI then select "As SATA" not "As IDE"
  3. See on the BIOS screen there is information which port for "As SATA", in mine port 4/5
  4. So I move my HDD cable from port 0 to 5
  5. Boot using Proxmox 2.2 CD and its works!

HTH

I just boot from the ISO/USB and run the installer. e.g. we have no issues with big volumes here. e.g. it works great for a Seagate 3TB disks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!