Three node Ceph cluster: physical switching vs. full mesh network

Oct 28, 2013
www.nadaka.de
Hi,

I just learned from here that it's possible to connect the nodes of a Ceph cluster directly to each other.
I wonder if that would increase the I/O performance of the cluster, because there are no physical switches in between.

For our upcoming project both (physical switching and a full mesh network) would be possible. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two ways?

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and many greets
Stephan

The advantage for mesh networking is pretty obvious- no need for switching gear. the disadvantage- it does not scale; you cant add additional nodes beyond the three. There is also a minor operating cost (performance wise) for having the switching performed on the nodes but its not a showstopper. Practically speaking, mesh networking is only useful for lab purposes.

Ok, so letting the switches do the switching is more performant than giving this job to the hosts - makes sense!
So in your opinion I should always do classical switching in a productive environment?
Are there other opinions about this?

Thanks a lot and many greets
Stephan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!