THIN-LVM unreliable with DRBD9 in PVE 4.2?

Kei

May 29, 2016
Hello everyone.
Reading from PVE documentation, you are only supposed to use Thin LVM's when building a shared storage with DRBD9 in PVE 4.2.
However, if you read here, http://www.drbd.org/en/doc/users-guide-90/s-drbdmanage-storage-plugins, it seems like the lvm_thinlv.LvmThinLv and lvm_thinpool.LvmThinPool plugins (which the current implementation in PVE use) are still considered "usafe" by the LINBIT guys. Sure enough, they say "Some kernel versions have bugs re Thin LVs, destroying data". Does this mean I'm risking data corruption?
If so, using drbdmanage.storage.lvm.Lvm as plugin will change anything?

Thank you.

it seems like the lvm_thinlv.LvmThinLv and lvm_thinpool.LvmThinPool plugins (which the current implementation in PVE use) are still considered "usafe" by the LINBIT guys. Sure enough, they say "Some kernel versions have bugs re Thin LVs, destroying data".

I am not aware of such bug. We are also in contact with Linbit, and they never mentioned such bug.

Ok thank you. Regardin the bug mentioned before, I'm not sure if I've been a victim, but I've experienced the error "Could not open '/dev/drbd/by-res/vm-x..." (the file was gone). However, this could be due to an error on my configuration. I need to run further tests I guess...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!