template storage on ceph ? howto ?

Gerhard W. Recher

Mar 10, 2017
Munich
Hi Folks,

I you have as only shared storage ceph on your cluster, how to accomplish templates on ceph ?

I see no solution in documentation ....

regards

Gerhard

are you talking about container templates ? if yes, you could use the local storage of the nodes, or create a small vm which has an nfs export,

you could also manually configure cephfs, mount it and add it as a directory storage

Dominik,

Reason is, having many space consuming templates on local disk space is not really a good idea, beside actualization of iso images or vm templates.

I think where must be a way by proxmox gui to define a shared storage on ceph for all cluster member nodes.

I recently made a experiment to export ISCSI over ceph, but this has really no good performance, and is a real hazel to setup.( both LIO and TGT)

I wonder nobody else asked this in the mean time :(

The GUI allows you to attach existing storage. With the exception of ceph the GUI has no provisions for creation, modification, etc of actual backing stores. What you're asking is a full fledged storage management module which would be great to have but is a really big job. In any case, you can accomplish what you ask as Dominik suggested.

I recently made a experiment to export ISCSI over ceph, but this has really no good performance
With iSCSI you're still dealing with block devices; you'll still be in the same predicament as using RBDs directly. Unless you were trying to attach rbd volumes to outside resources this serves no purpose.

The GUI allows you to attach existing storage. With the exception of ceph the GUI has no provisions for creation, modification, etc of actual backing stores. What you're asking is a full fledged storage management module which would be great to have but is a really big job. In any case, you can accomplish what you ask as Dominik suggested.

With iSCSI you're still dealing with block devices; you'll still be in the same predicament as using RBDs directly. Unless you were trying to attach rbd volumes to outside resources this serves no purpose.

this iscsi experiment was only to test speeds for a rbd--> iscsi gateway to host iscsi liúns on rbd ha storage for windows machines outside of proxmox ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!