tagging instances

shantanu

Mar 30, 2012
Hi,
This is a two part question:

Would it be possible to assign custom tags to qemu vms.
Software from inside the vm could then "query" those tags to get other metadata about the vms.

Example:
I will tag by server machines with the tag "myserver"

Then my client machine can try to discover such instances to get the server's IP address.
(So I don't have to know the server IP address beforehand)

*** Modelled exactly after AWS EC2 tags.

Regards,
Shantanu

I said about the same ideaa about tags(user define) in a old post using consul. And not only at VM level. So you can do/define a task using a tag. Like make a bakup for any VM/CT with tag X. Or make a pve-zsync for any storage with tag Y.

Reactions: shantanu
@jermudgeon

Yes, I configure Consul and Nomad as SystemD services, as direct binary execution.

After, I install Nomad/Consul inside the VMs, they would in turn be used to manage Docker containers (inside the VM).

Thanks for the reply, @shantanu. I may have misworded my question. I was wondering if you were using nomad to directly create containers (LXC) on the cluster, but it sounds like you are using nomad inside prebuilt VMs.

I'm trying to avoid the overhead of having large, not-very-portable VMs; I'd rather use LXC, and this is quite doable with non-orchestrated Proxmox. It's finding an orchestrator for LXC that appears to be difficult.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!