Suspend, copy and resume a KVM VM

Erk

Renowned Member
Dec 11, 2009
I am trying to work out at the command line, how to suspend a running KVM VM so I can ftp a copy to another machine and resume it. Kind of like how the migrate facility does when you have shared iSCSI/DRBD storage, but obviously much slower using ftp. Is there a command line utility for suspending the VM and resuming it on another server without having to resort to vzdump/qmrestore?

I intend to use ZFS snapshot replication to keep both servers reasonably updated, so I will only be copying a small diff file between them.

What I am looking for is the proxmox equivalent of the virsh save and restore commands that save the memory snapshot of the running VM to disk.

Last edited:
Was something like this what you was looking for?

# virsh save {domain-name, domain-id or domain-uuid} filename

This stops the guest you specify and saves the data to a file, which may take some time given the amount of memory in use by your guest. You can restore the state of the guest with the restore (Restore a guest) option. Save is similar to pause, instead of just pausing a guest the present state of the guest is saved.

Did you find any solution?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!