Support Intel Xeon CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.50GHz

cadet

Jul 5, 2022
Hi Team!

I installed Proxmox on debian 11 on server with 2 * Intel Xeon CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.50GHz.

Proxmox is starting well.

I have software that installed as VM and used nested virtualization. It is software work well on esxi 6.7 on same HW (but have limitation as you know 8 vcpu on esxi free).

In this software I creating different topologies using LXC and VM.

The problem is that LXC starting / working well, but VM not started

Support from this software tell me that may be is problem "either a compatibility problem between your Proxmox and hardware or how Proxmox expose the CPU to our software".

How to check that Proxmox does support HW with Intell CPU E5-2680 v4 ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Did you set the CPU type to host for the VM? (YourNode -> YourVM -> Hardware -> Processors -> Edit -> Type: host)

Also check that KVM is enabled (should be by default) for the VM. (YourNode -> YourVM -> Options -> KVM hardware virtualization -> Yes)

Did you set the CPU type to host for the VM? (YourNode -> YourVM -> Hardware -> Processors -> Edit -> Type: host)

Also check that KVM is enabled (should be by default) for the VM. (YourNode -> YourVM -> Options -> KVM hardware virtualization -> Yes)
Both of these settings were as you indicated, but did not work. Installed qemu-kvm on same HW - everything works fine.

Have you read this? Can you please post your VM-configuration (/etc/pve/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf)?

By selecting different CPU types it works with cpu: Broadwell (code name) -- not cpu: host

args: -cpu Broadwell,+vmx,kvm=on,+pdpe1gb,+vme
cores: 28
cpu: Broadwell

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!