SuperMicro IPMI install with UEFI

FATeknollogee

May 3, 2017
Server: SuperMicro 2027TR-HTRF http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/2U/2027/SYS-2027TR-HTRF.cfm
ISO: Proxmox VE v5 beta 2

Trying to install Proxmox using SM IPMI
In UEFI mode, the screen will not resize/change resolution. BIOS mode is ok.
Any ideas why?

ps, I tried using a Fedora 25 ISO & it works in UEFI mode.

BIOS install: no problem
Rcq3Tid.png

UEFI install: screen resolution problem??
bSrcOxT.png

I'm hitting this too (SuperMicro X10SLM+ln4f). Has anyone found a workaround other than using legacy BIOS to perform the installation?

Last Week i was at the datacenter where my server is located. I tought i try with boot from usb stick, then it worked. I had another idea just to double check this issue. I was not connected via ipmi viewer, just connected an iso via ipmi webinterface and had the same issue with 800x600 via local connected monitor.

I figured out a workaround for this... too bad it took almost a year for me to realize it.

Note that the GUI installer is running under X - and in many/most X11 window managers you can move a window by holding down an alt key while clicking and dragging the mouse. That didn't work for me because the key event was being swallowed by my local window manager (I'm running Linux on my desktop) and so it moved my IPMI window around when I did this. But under the 'Macro' menu of the iKVM Viewer window there's an option to "Hold Left Alt Key". Check that box, and then inside of the window, click on the installer and drag it to the left so that you can see the "Next" button. You'll have to uncheck the menu item to click "Next". Repeat this process a few times to get through the menus, and you'll be able to complete the installation and reboot.

If you're running this under Windows, you might not need to use the menu option and instead just hold down alt while dragging.

You're welcome.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!