[SOLVED] Suggestion about restore

Valerio Pachera

Aug 19, 2016
Hi all, I have a production server with Proxmox 5.1-43.
I wish to resotre a guest the backup of yesterday but I don't want to remove the originale guest.
The origina guest has to continue rugnning.
I added and nfs storage where I can restore the backup.
May the restore cause some problems, like creating the same network card (with the same mac)?
Please, advice me about any side effect on that operation.

Thank you.

Create a new CT/KVM then restore backup to it.
When you create new virtual machine, you will not see backup of other vm.
The one and only way to restore existing vm (without removing it) to the new one is to restore from nfs storage contents view.
Then before starting it remove and add network device. It will get a new MAC.
With same MAC it will not work.
You don't have to remove NIC - change the MAC address only.

You can create new guest and restore any other guest backup, there is no issue. I do it all the time. I have 25 live nodes with atleast 10 guests each.

Rather than editing MAC and making mistake, it is better to delete network device and add it. That is what i do when i clone a guest.

What is the point of restoring vm to newly created vm if restoring process can create vm itself? Parameters?

Yeah, your restoring policy is safer but also one step longer.

I mean:
- If you browse backup from vm menu you will see only backups of this vm.
- If you browse contents of storage (VZ dump) device you will see all of backups.

Vasu, your answer is apparently proper one.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
The only thing to be aware of i removing and recreating the network card (I dind't tested it).
If I change the mac address, winows will anyway start with a configured nic (tested).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!