Suggested storage setup for 3 nodes 1HD+1SSD

dendi

Renowned Member
Nov 17, 2011
Dear Proxmox Team and users,

I just finished some test with DRBD9, all lost... disaster!
Now I have to look for another way.

I have 3 identical server with:

8 cores - 32 GB RAM without ECC
1 SSD (Intel DC S3510) + 1 HD (WD RE4), no hotswap
2 1GB nic bonded on a cluster of switches

Automatic HA is not a must but data redundancy between node is required.
I'd like to have a third copy via WAN (async replication)

What kind of storage configuration do you suggest? Ceph?

First this: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/drbd-cluster-creation-problem.26957/

Cluster up and running with replica count 2 (on 3 nodes)
VM created on node 1, disk added on node 2 and node 3
Ok, it is not efficient but it work diskless
added a replica with drbdmanage on node 1; error: the instance already exists (diskless)
removed the diskless instance (wonderfool) and readded,synced and... ok now I have 3 copies
meanwhile I had replication stopped on node 3... ok... reboot... I'm just testing
Looking to my VM... disk is here but I can't start any binary due to some strange error.. ok, reboot the VM and grub stops: can't find the magic number or something similar.
I think it's enough :)
Sorry for my bad english, I hope that you understand anyway

Well, Thank you for posting this, it helped me to decide weather I should go for DRBD9 or Ceph.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!