Sugesstion for hardware

Juria

Nov 5, 2018
Hello.
Need to buy server for education purpose. (looking in HP dirrection)
It will be used for students LABS - who will install and configure different OS simultaneously (at the same time) Need that Proxmox worked fine with 12 students working (simultaneously)
What to look for in hardware??
More question about STORAGE. HDD or SSD, SAS or SATA? RAID- 50 or 10
I have experience with 5 parallel studnents working on PC - I noticed the problem was STORAGE - too slow...
Maybe someone some ideas.....? Thanks!

Hi,

What to look for in hardware??
Use HW what will support Linux and ensure all needed driver are in the kernel.

More question about STORAGE. HDD or SSD, SAS or SATA? RAID- 50 or 10
I would use NVME disks or SSD because you can run on a normal SATA HDD only 2 VM with good performance.
So if you want redundancy you need for your Setup min 12 HDD.

Hi,

Use HW what will support Linux and ensure all needed driver are in the kernel.

I would use NVME disks or SSD because you can run on a normal SATA HDD only 2 VM with good performance.
So if you want redundancy you need for your Setup min 12 HDD.

Maybe You have experiance with ssd? How many VM could run and still bring good performance?? And what SSD you suggest? I looked up in HP list- enterprise SSD is too expensive for my budget!!

I don't know HP HW,
but here in the forum and also in other Linux forums, many peoples have driver problems with Linux and HP.

The problem is I don't know what your student do on this VM's so it is very hard to make a suggestion.
Here is an overview of what in generall a Disk is capable.
HDD 7,5k 80-120 IOPS
HDD 10k 120-180 IOPS
SSD 400-4000IOPS
NVMe 400-1M IOPS

Reactions: Juria
I don't know HP HW,
but here in the forum and also in other Linux forums, many peoples have driver problems with Linux and HP.

The problem is I don't know what your student do on this VM's so it is very hard to make a suggestion.
Here is an overview of what in generall a Disk is capable.
HDD 7,5k 80-120 IOPS
HDD 10k 120-180 IOPS
SSD 400-4000IOPS
NVMe 400-1M IOPS

I will be carefull about HP HW support for linux! Thaks!
Students mainly will install different operating systems - Windows 10, FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Mint, Windows Server and will configure it! No DBMS and other heavy stuff not needed! Previous the main problem was installation process where it all get laggy!! So i think it was HDD, becouse of lo of read/write operations! After installation was done, process was +- smoothe!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!