Strange problem with xrdp on KVM VM centos 6.5

kumarullal

Renowned Member
Jun 17, 2009
LA, USA
I created a KVM Virtual machine on proxmox ve for centos 6.5 desktop at my work.
The I installed xrdp from this link http://ajmatson.net/wordpress/2014/01/install-xrdp-remote-desktop-to-centos-6-5/
Everything works great. When I tried the same KVM image at home, I get connection error problem.
Even the vncserver service would not start on the centos KVM Virtual Machine. It says no display configured.
So, I tried to setup the display for vncserver for the centos6.5 KVM Image on the Node at my home. The Display was configured ok. The vncserver service also started. But I got connection error when I try to RDP in to centos VM.
So, I decided to bring home the whole proxmox server (Node) which had the working KVM Virtual machine of centos with xrdp.
When I fired up the vm and tried to get in through RDP in to the same centos KVM image, I get the same problem of connection error.
So I am very confused.
How can the same centos 6.5 image works fine at my work and the same node with the image when got home the vncserver does not start.
Does it have anything to do with my router at home? (Cant be because it is on a LAN)
I am using U-verse (ISP) for my home and I have ASUS RT-N100 router.
Can anyone guide me why is this happening.

Last edited:
Hi Longhair,
I did not quite understand your reference to SPICE here. I am trying to connect to the guest vm centos 6.5 using Remote Desktop Connection from my windows laptop.

Are you using Windows Remote Desktop Connection or something else to remote into CentOS on the work computer?

Resolved.
The issue was with my WIndows 7 laptop. When I tried to RDP in the the VM, it worked as it is supposed to.
Thank you all.

Did nothing. When I used another laptop, it worked. SO there has to be some issues with my other laptop. SO now it is a windows 7 issue, not anything else.
Best Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!