Strange problem with 2008 R2 and migration between nodes.

taenzerme

Sep 18, 2013
Bonn, Germany
www.taenzer.de
Hello guys,

we've just set up a 3 node cluster using the subcription enterprise repository (if that makes any difference):

Node1: Socket 1155, i5-2500K
Node2: Socket 755, Q6600
Node3: Socket i3-3220

I know the hardware isn't actually server level but that shouln't matter here.

Problem:

- Windows 2008 R2 64bit set up on node1. Working with virtio drivers
- Migrated to node2: not booting, black screen with blinking cursor after BIOS
- Migrated to node3: booting normally

vm configuration:

Code:
args: -cpu kvm64,+nx
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 2
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: win2
net0: virtio=E2:3C:DB:93:D8:14,bridge=vmbr0
onboot: 1
ostype: win7
sockets: 1
virtio0: vms:104/base-104-disk-1.qcow2/107/vm-107-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=75G

I tried playing around with args and cpu setting without any difference.

After that I set up a NEW 2008 R2 installation from the SAME template (in regards to drivers installed etc.) on node1. Only difference to the troubled vm is some IIS configuration that has been done and windows activation. Migrated that new machine to node2: working without any problems.

Only that main vm is having trouble after migration and I can't find out where to look. Any ideas?

As always when not expecting it things clear up:

I've booted the VM on node2 with 2008 R2 setup disk, loaded the virtio storage drivers after including them into the ISO image and then reinstalled the mbr:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Despited rebuildbcd saying it found no installations the system came up on node2 after reboot.

Any ideas what happened here and why it worked on node1?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!