Storage choice for best performance

admintmt

Oct 17, 2017
Hello!

I'd like to know what is the best storage configuration for VM with MSSQL Server 2014 running on Win2012R2 guest. Maybe get some advice

After fresh proxmox installation with ext4 type we got an LVM-Thin storage which is worst possible storage for MSSQL, AFAIK. As Proxmox wiki said it is possible to revert this configuration to regular LVM by deleting thin pool and add regular LV, format it with ext4 and mount to /var/lib/vz or somewhere else.
The question is, is it necessary to make an FS on logical volume? I mean, couldn't we just delete thin pool from default installation, then in GUI add PVE VG as an LVM storage, so new VM will make its own LV for an HDD image. There is no need for ext4 on top of it what should give a better performance.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Thanks!

Okay. I'm just curious, why proxmox team not recommended this configuration. Any details i didn't know?

You can use the storage which fits to your needs, Proxmox VE.

LVMthin support snapshots, therefore the ISO installer configures this (if you do not use ZFS)

See also:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!