[SOLVED] Stop VM Slow - KVM

Norberto Iannicelli

May 9, 2016
Good afternoon friends.
Whenever I need to shut down or take a virtual machine takes enough. Almost 5 minutes.
Is there anything that can be done to improve this time?

There is a lot you can improve, but you have to elaborate what you already have. Without any facts about your system you can have a x86_64-based watch running proxmox up to a 16-node streched-mega-cluster.

do you use the qemu-guest-agent?

if not, enable it on the GUI (and install the package inside your VM)

My cluster has 6 active nodes, within 20 days i will enable more 6 nodes. (all nodes is dell 2950, 8x core and 32GB ram). Yes, QEMU agent is enable in all vm.
I did a test and it was better, I made the suspension of the server and then he did stop. It was fast then before.
But if I put the virtual machine to stop directly it takes a long time.

I use the latest version Proxmox and community license.

if a VM shutdown take 5 minutes, you should analyse the applications inside.

I will check this.
All vm running wordpress website only.
Mysql - php-fpm - varnish and nginx.

Anyway thank you for your attention and availability of all.

maybe you have issues with mounts? e.g. NFS.

just a guess.

Normally, I have start times for KVM of 2-5 seconds (most of the time I see the seabios) and shutdown of 2 seconds on Debian Jessie. What OS do you use inside?

Here is very fast to start too, but shutdown no ^^
Centos 6.7, kernel 3.x.
I will test other operating systems to see the results, thanks lnxBill.

Is there something shown on the console while shutting down? Normally, 6.7 is still very "noisy" compared to systemd-based RHEL 7 series.

I do not use CentOS a lot, but my RHEL and Oracle Linux VMs work as expected. Not as fast as Debian, but really fast.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!