Steam Link not using Passthrough GPU

Luke Monahan

Jan 27, 2018
Hi All,

This might be too niche of a question, but I'm optimistic...

I have a GPU that is properly passing through to my windows VM. I do not connect a monitor to this system. I want to run a steam link (streaming set top box) off of this machine.
However when I connect to it it shows that "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" 0 bytes of ram.

Both display adapters are listed in the device manager. I'm not sure why the Basic Display exists, but steam seems to thing that it is the primary display.

Any idea how to get rid of the Basic display, I did try to simply disable it.

for the vm to use the passed through gpu as primary gpu, you have to add ',x-vga=on' to the hostpci entry, but this removes the virtual gpu and makes novnc not possbile (but you could still use remote desktop or a similar screensharing tool inside the vm)

edit: added 'as primary gpu'

Yesterday I had connection problems. For some hours, the gaming platform steam has been struggling with significant problems. The user is made aware of this by the failed login, in which the network connection should be checked. But the mistake is not sitting at home in front of the PC but lies with the provider.

I downloaded both Mafia 3 and NBA 2k18 yesterday. Played them both completely fine. Now today the damn games won't even launch from steam! It's ridiculous!
I've uninstalled, verified files, uninstalled and reinstalled steam. Then games still nothing! NONE of my games run!

The issue may be caused by very small problems in your system that are caused by any other program or process. First, optimize your troubleshooting and check first of all if Steam is down link. I had my issue resolved through this the clear guide on the internet.

Hope it helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!