Statistics Spam column

heutger

Famous Member
Apr 25, 2018
Fulda, Hessen, Germany
www.heutger.net
Hi,

I wonder which score is used to list messages as spam in the statistics and if it’s adjustable. In the logs x/5 is written, but is it really 5? If I want to adjust, where can I change, what is considered as spam or not in the statistics (I know how to handle the rules, but meanwhile I can adjust the spam level objects, that seems to have no influence to the the statistics spam or no spam considerations).

Regards,
Christian

Hmm - which statistics are you talking about exactly - I'll assume the rrd-charts and numbers if you click on the 'Statistics' mainpage of the GUI?

quickly glancing at the source code it does not only contain the SpamAssassin results, but additionally all mails blocked/deferred due to Greylisting, SPF-blocking (if enabled in the mailproxy and thus in the pmgpolicy daemon) + postscreen rejects.

Another quick glance would indicate that SpamAssassin results are considered Spam if the score is > 3 (however I would need to dig a bit deeper to verify this with certainty).

Does this match your experience?

Hope this helps!

Hmm - which statistics are you talking about exactly - I'll assume the rrd-charts and numbers if you click on the 'Statistics' mainpage of the GUI?

quickly glancing at the source code it does not only contain the SpamAssassin results, but additionally all mails blocked/deferred due to Greylisting, SPF-blocking (if enabled in the mailproxy and thus in the pmgpolicy daemon) + postscreen rejects.

Another quick glance would indicate that SpamAssassin results are considered Spam if the score is > 3 (however I would need to dig a bit deeper to verify this with certainty).

Does this match your experience?

Hope this helps!

Yes, I mean this page:

Bildschirmfoto-2019-04-26-um-17-52-41.png

So Junk Mails is a bit strange declaration of mails, which get rejected by Postfix (Pregreet and RBL), for sure it's possible to split them by the extra statistic. Spam Mails are also a bit bad as I don't know, from which score they are expected as spam mails. Tracking center says anything of /5, so I would expect a score of >= 5, however should be adjustable. I would also be happy to see the blocked mails here, if blocking is used and I would also be happy to be able to adjust (or click), what I want to see in the graph above as I miss spam mails there, which would be one of the most interesting graph beside the total and junk, maybe (if not possible to show all) virus or minimum bounces would be lest interesting.

hi,
sorry for not picking that up sooner...

So Junk Mails is a bit strange declaration of mails, which get rejected by Postfix (Pregreet and RBL), for sure it's possible to split them by the extra statistic. Spam Mails are also a bit bad as I don't know, from which score they are expected as spam mails.
I guess the definition of what is considered 'Junk/Spam mail' and what is not is nothing which has one single and simple answer.
That aside - the problem I see here, is that PMG saves the data for older timeframes in aggregated form, and it's not really possible to flexibly change those definitions without breaking old data through the change.

Tracking center says anything of /5, so I would expect a score of >= 5, however should be adjustable.
hm - It looks to me that the '/5' in the Logs (and hence in the Tracking Center) is a leftover and not really accurate...
After all you can configure which level of spam you treat with which means in the rule-system, so the single level here makes little sense.
(The '5' is just a value which needs to be set in SpamAssassins internal config, and in our experience 5 is a quite high score in a default SA-config).

As for more detailed statistics of how many mails scored at which SA-score: there's always the 'Statstics'->'Spam Scores' overview which shows this quite directly in a tabular fashion.

If you really need a far deeper reporting and statistics facility I would suggest to use something, which analyzes PMG's logs directly (or goes through the Database).

Hope this helps!

hi,
sorry for not picking that up sooner...

I guess the definition of what is considered 'Junk/Spam mail' and what is not is nothing which has one single and simple answer.
That aside - the problem I see here, is that PMG saves the data for older timeframes in aggregated form, and it's not really possible to flexibly change those definitions without breaking old data through the change.

hm - It looks to me that the '/5' in the Logs (and hence in the Tracking Center) is a leftover and not really accurate...
After all you can configure which level of spam you treat with which means in the rule-system, so the single level here makes little sense.
(The '5' is just a value which needs to be set in SpamAssassins internal config, and in our experience 5 is a quite high score in a default SA-config).

As for more detailed statistics of how many mails scored at which SA-score: there's always the 'Statstics'->'Spam Scores' overview which shows this quite directly in a tabular fashion.

If you really need a far deeper reporting and statistics facility I would suggest to use something, which analyzes PMG's logs directly (or goes through the Database).

Hope this helps!

Hi,

thanks for response. I just found, that it seems, that Spam is considered as Spam in the statistics from score 3. So it's fine to have a split view on extra menu item, but it's worse, that the statistics then don't give too much sense as the Spam score is hardcoded and differs from own settings. SA setting I understand and you have the rule system therefore, however, for the statistics, it's making them a bit useless.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!