static routing to SAN

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
Hi guys as a test i want to set my spare eth1 as a static route to my SAN so that all SAN traffic has its own dedicated NIC.

whats the best way for me to do this?

eth0 is 192.168.15.35
eth1 is 192.168.15.43

SAN is 192.168.15.10

ip route add 192.168.15.10 via 192.168.15.43 dev eth1

seems to work but im not sure if this is the best way to do it, any suggestions?

Hi guys as a test i want to set my spare eth1 as a static route to my SAN so that all SAN traffic has its own dedicated NIC.

whats the best way for me to do this?

eth0 is 192.168.15.35
eth1 is 192.168.15.43

SAN is 192.168.15.10

ip route add 192.168.15.10 via 192.168.15.43 dev eth1

seems to work but im not sure if this is the best way to do it, any suggestions?
Hi,
to avoid trouble I would prefer different networks for both NICs!
For the same network was bonding the better way.

Udo

I plan on buying some extra dual port NICs and using them only for NAS traffic in a team:

bond0 = eth0 & eth2 : 192.168.100.35
bond1 = eth1 & eth3 : 192.168.100.43

this is a test to see if isolating the network traffic from the NAS traffic solves some issues we have been having or offers any improvement on speed.

So far there is a slight improvement in HDD access speeds but it also then leaves a full 1GB NIC available for VM/Proxmox traffic.

Now i just need to find a way of making the route permanant rather than lost after a reboot

I plan on buying some extra dual port NICs and using them only for NAS traffic in a team:

bond0 = eth0 & eth2 : 192.168.100.35
bond1 = eth1 & eth3 : 192.168.100.43

this is a test to see if isolating the network traffic from the NAS traffic solves some issues we have been having or offers any improvement on speed.

So far there is a slight improvement in HDD access speeds but it also then leaves a full 1GB NIC available for VM/Proxmox traffic.

Now i just need to find a way of making the route permanant rather than lost after a reboot
Hi,
why you want to use two bonds in the same network?? Whats about an bound with 4 nics?

to make the route permanent you can use something like this in the interface-file (in the bridge or eth-section)
Code:
        post-up /sbin/ip route add x.x.x.x via y.y.y.y
Udo

Hi,
why you want to use two bonds in the same network?? Whats about an bound with 4 nics?
Udo

I am having issues with getting bonding to work with my switch in anything other than active-backup mode - ALB seems to cause more issues than it solves.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!