starting KVM guest with LVM snapshots from other KVM guests

JonB

Nov 28, 2011
Copenhagen
Hi

I would like to use snapshot based backup as well as rsync for efficiency and being able to scan the rsync copy with rkhunter, clamscan and such to detect problems with the guests from a safe known environment.

Okay, so create a special KVM guest for that, and edit the /etc/pve/qemu-server/107.conf file with the same lines from the other 10#.conf files with the snapshot name.

But if I put different names infront of the lvm, it doesnt work, eg:
virtio1: onestorage:AuToMaTiC_SnApShOt_BaCkUp.etVG.vm-101-disk-1,size=2G​
and it complains that it is unable to parse the lvm volumen name. So I change it to:
virtio1: onestorage:vm-101-ksid-1,size=2G​
and it comes up with a different complaint.
can't activate LV '/dev/etVG/vm-101-ksid-1': Change of snapshot vm-101-ksid-1 will also change its origin vm-101-disk-1. Proceed? [y/n]: Logical volume vm-101-ksid-1 not changed.

Can I tell the system that it is a read-only snapshot and that it should not try to activate the LVM?

(FSCK, where is my typesetting? You could at least respect newlines.)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!