SSSD or RealmD instead of PAM for root?

Benc

Aug 22, 2019
Greetings,

I am interested in managing the root accounts (the ones with console access, and root permissions in proxmox) with Active directory. This would be for password rotation, and also the ability to easily add and remove users that are allowed to SSH into the Proxmox host for management tasks.

Has anyone successfully implemented SSSD for the Root account either manually or through RealmD?

This is different than the "AD integration" within the web interface. I am aware of the web interface AD/LDAP support. I'm not interested in that so please don't repeat it. This is specifically related to RealmD/SSSD configurations for the hosts.

This should not be an issue, best use UIDs above the 10000, to reduce the chance for conflicting UIDs (local/foreign). And separately, you need to add any user that should have access to the GUI to Proxmox (eg. Datacenter -> Users). Use sudo to let users gain access to root. This way the root account will be locally resolvable and if the LDAP connection is not working, you will still be able to login with the root user.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!